Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My kitchen went on vacation and all I got was this lousy movie

This probably isn't art - just fun

(this worked earlier - I have no idea why it's busted now. If it's still busted later I'll get a vimeo account or something)

So in my "I can't concentrate because of my cold" induced state I got massively distracted by UV mapping. After watching a couple of youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToMpcXGf0-c

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbvex7maHL8&feature=related

I decided to see if I could put this cell phone pic of my fridge:

on the beach. Blender has a very cool UV map generator from the camera's perspective which essentially allows you to slap an image on whatever your looking at and it automagically matches whatever objects the blender camera is looking at (and is selected for editing) meaning that if you make the objects, position the blender camera in the same position as your source photo, unwrap (u) using 'project from view (bounds)' and tweak to make it look right you can create 3d virtual reality worlds from your own photos. Anyways, I animated my fridge sliding across the beach [movie at top] to show how this works:

I added movement and camera angle change to show the 3d qualities of the fridge and counter slide across the beach to prove this isn't a very lame quick photoshop hack. So this photo and object line up creating some realism but if your photo doesn't match your blender world it would just be bizarre surreal and potentially extremely cool which would initally line up and look cool but distort heavily as you move things or the camera around. Sounds too cool not to try that next.

There's also a modifier called UV projection that does something really cool kinda similar too but I havn't figured out how to use it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment