Thursday, April 8, 2010

Squash and Stretch - Follow Through - Timing - Exaggeration

Got Jello?

Short Little animation practicing some fundamentals of animation:

Jello Delivery from Clay Kent on Vimeo.




I got the truck and VW models from these sites:
http://www.katorlegaz.com/3d_models/index.php
http://www.blendermodels.org/


Some reflections on this project: I got pretty familiar with shape keys with this project but animating lattices is still hit and miss for me. I can tell it's really close to shape keys but different enough to cause some headaches. Specifically, can I have more than one lattice deformation key per lattice? Looks like it should be possible with being able to make more than one key but I had no success and had to create redundant lattices for every different transformation. Also, there seemed to be multiple IPO curves for the key and for basis but they were screwy to work with and seemed redundant but also not connected or functional. In the end I'm not really sure what I did that worked. Probably something simple but I spent quite some time on it and am still confused. All in all I wanted to make something that looked somewhat polished and not too 1/2 assed. Time wise that was tough but hopefully I've learned a bit to make next time faster.

Second thing I learned: Final Cut Pro is weird with alpha channels. Using the animation codec with keyframe for every frame selected, max quality on everything and no video channels muted out and a pre-roll image of 5 or so frames before any important action finally seemed to give not jittery (perfect copy) playback with functional alpha channel for every frame not to mention huge video files. Definitely buggy, but at least I found something that works. The AE cs5 demo comes out in a couple days I think. I'll download that and see if it's more friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment